About Maura Keogh Shafer
Maura Keogh Shafer MEd, Masters in Education, is a proven team teacher, interventionist, diagnostician, educational consultant, and special education advocate.
- Established track record driving up standardized testing scores and working collaboratively with teachers to increase student achievement, engagement, and positive behaviors.
- Demonstrated success in person and through multiple virtual settings.
- Twenty five years in the field of special education as a teacher, evaluator, case manager, interventionist, collaborator, and advocate.
Advocating for students-
- Evaluated student skill levels, strengths, and barriers utilizing standardized tests.
- Advocated for students through participation in evaluation teams.
- Developed goals targeting barriers to success and reported on standards-based IEP goals.
- Created asset-based individual education plans.
- Experience with the following students: twice-exceptional, SLD, NLD, APD, dyslexic, autistic, ADHD, EBD.
Intervening for students -
- Trained and experienced in evidence-based practices: Structured Literacy, HELPS Reading Fluency, Math Recovery - AVMR 1, Wilson Reading Intervention, Leveled Literacy Intervention, Bridges Math, Reader’s/Writer’s Workshop, Notice and Note, Tier 2 PBIS.
- Experience with Response to Intervention (RTI) and progress monitoring 1-1, small group, and large group.
Consulting with staff -
- Trained and implemented rollout of Tier 2 PBIS including checkin/checkout and brief FBA/BIP.
- Consulted with staff to implement a proactive system of support by focusing on positive behaviors to extinguish negative behavior patterns.
- Analyzed behavior through antecedents, consequences, and function.
- Certified and experienced in CPI Nonviolent Crisis Intervention.
Collaborating with staff -
- Co-taught reading and math in inclusive classrooms.
- Utilized the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) model when planning with staff so all students could access material and demonstrate knowledge.
- Reflected on engagement and impact of lessons on all students and altered plans accordingly.